KDHE Office of Vital Statistics

Kay Haug, State Registrar
Jason Mathewson, Director of Vital Statistics

The Vital Statistics Office remains closed to walk-in customers.; however, the lobby is open for Will Call order pick-ups. For ordering options, please select certificate type on the left side of this page. Will Call applicants will be notified via email when they can pick up the certificate(s). Masks are required to enter State Office buildings and, upon arrival, Will Call applicants should check in with security.

The Office of Vital Statistics receives and preserves vital records for events (births, stillbirth, deaths, marriages, and divorces) which occur in Kansas. The Office maintains more than 10 million vital records, adding approximately 100,000 new records annually. Over 360,000 certified copies of these records are issued to eligible requestors annually. The records maintained by this office are necessary for individuals to carry out day-to-day business such as obtaining passports, enrolling in schools, sports participation, starting new jobs, qualifying for subsidized housing, collecting life insurance benefits, and transferring property.

Data from the records also has important public health and social research significance. The data, considered the "gold standard" of public health data, can help determine which diseases and illnesses are problems in Kansas communities. For information on health care data and statistics, click here.

Vital Records

Kansas Records Only: Only Kansas vital records are filed and issued by this Office.
If you need an out-of-state vital record, you have two options:

  • VitalChek (online order service for certificates)
  • CDC (tutorial on how to apply for certificates from other states)

Eligibility: Birth, stillbirth, death, marriage, and divorce records (vital records) in Kansas are not public records. Certified copies of vital records are released to the person named on the record, immediate family, a legal representative, or anyone who can prove a direct interest, such as a named beneficiary or someone who jointly owns property with the person whose record is requested. The record must be necessary for the determination of personal or property rights. Proof of legal representation, direct interest, or written authorization is required if the requestor is not named on the record or an immediate family member.