Engineering & Permits

The Engineering & Permits Unit oversees the permitting of public water supply systems and related infrastructure pertaining to the supply of potable water to the public. K.A.R. 28-15-16 and K.S.A. 65-163 require a public water supply system to have a permit issued by the Secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). An application for a public water supply system permit must be reviewed and approved prior to the start of construction and a public water supply permit subsequently issued for serving drinking water to the public. Similarly, changes to a public water supply system are reviewed and approved prior to the start of construction and a public water supply permit issued for placing the completed infrastructure into operation. An application generally consists of plans and specifications, a public water supply permit application, water quality, and other data and information required to complete the application’s review. Subject to certain limited exceptions, the Kansas State Board of Technical Professions (KSBTP) under K.S.A. 74-7001 requires the use of a licensed professional engineer for services or work constituting the practice of engineering. Accordingly, KDHE recommends water systems secure the services of a professional engineer licensed to practice in Kansas to assist in preparing documents, e.g., plans and specifications for example, for any anticipated project.

In addition to permitting public water supply systems, the Engineering & Permits Unit provides technical advice, assistance, and training to KDHE staff and the public on water supply treatment and operation issues, including requirements of laws, regulations and guidelines. It also represents the Bureau of Water in matters pertaining to emergency response such as natural and/or manmade disasters, infectious disease outbreaks, and/or acts of terrorism.

Other Resources (Industrial Programs Section)

BOW - PWS - Engineering & Permits