Compliance & Enforcement

Frequently Asked Questions

I just discovered that I am out of compliance with my permit. How can I get this problem resolved?

KDHE supports improving compliance with environmental laws and regulations by encouraging the use of self-audits, voluntary disclosure of violations, and the implementation of environmental management systems by the regulated community. If a member of the regulated community submits a self disclosure for violations and KDHE determines the violations are not eligible for immunity from penalties, KDHE will take those good faith efforts into consideration when assessing the necessary response.

We also encourage you to contact the K-State Small Business Environmental Assistance Program at 1-800-578-8898 for confidential help with questions about air permits.

Back to Questions

My permit requires that I conduct a performance test (also sometimes called a stack test). I am not sure what this is, or how I get this done. Where do I start?

A stack test measures the amount of a specific pollutant or pollutants being emitted through regulated stacks at facilities subject to the requirements of state and federal regulations and permit conditions. Stack testing is an important tool used to determine a facility's compliance with emission limits. Many companies hire contractors to conduct performance tests. KDHE maintains a list of contractors who are available for performance testing in Kansas. KDHE maintains a list of Performance Testing Companies . EPA also maintains a list of national performance testing companies. The list can be viewed at:
(see downloads list)

In addition, KDHE provides Performance Testing Guidelines to help facilities and stack testing companies prepare protocols for, conduct, and prepare reports for performance tests in Kansas.

Back to Questions

I am required to conduct a performance test. I would like to request a different test method than the one required by the rule that I am subject to. How can I do this?

If the test is required to demonstrate compliance with a federal rule, then a written request for an alternative test method should be sent to EPA Region 7, and the request will be forwarded to EPA Headquarters. EPA will respond in writing, approving or denying the request for an alternative test method. If the test is required to demonstrate compliance with a state only rule, then a written request should be sent to KDHE. KDHE will respond in writing. The addresses to send such requests are as follows:

Kansas Compliance Officer
Air Permitting and Compliance Branch
U.S. EPA, Region 7
11201 Renner Blvd
Lenexa, KS 66219

Air Compliance and Enforcement Section
KDHE Bureau of Air
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 310
Topeka, KS 66612

Back to Questions

I've got waste materials that I need to dispose of. Can I burn this material, rather than sending it to a landfill?

K.A.R. 28-19-645 prohibits open burning, with a few exceptions outlined in K.A.R. 645-648. This regulation can be found on Adobe Reader page 100.

Contact the KDHE District Office or Local Agency Air Program of the county where you wish to burn for information.

If you still have questions, please contact the Compliance and Enforcement Section (785) 296-1544.

Back to Questions

I have a complaint about a source of air emissions. Who should I call?

KDHE District Offices and Local Air Programs

Anywhere in Kansas (785) 296-1544

Back to Questions

I would like to become certified to conduct Method 9 evaluations. Are there "smoke schools" in the area where I can get certified?

KDHE is aware of three smoke schools in the area. These and other companies also conduct smoke school in neighboring states. Tests are normally conducted twice a year, with one in the spring and another in the fall.


Contact Telephone

Web Site

Eastern Technical Associates (ETA)

(919) 878-3188


(573) 636-6393

Back to Questions