Water Well Program

Pam Chaffee, Professional Geologist   
Chief, Water Well Unit
Geology & Well Technology, 1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 420
Topeka, KS 66612-1367
Office:  (785) 296-3565
Fax:  (785) 296-5509

General Information

The Water Well Program at KDHE is administered by the Water Well Unit within the Geology & Well Technology Section.

The purpose of the Water Well Program is to provide for the exploration and protection of groundwater through the licensing and regulation of water well contractors in Kansas and to protect the health and general welfare of the citizens of Kansas. The program oversees the proper construction, reconstruction, treatment and plugging of water wells and to provide data on potential water supplies in Kansas. This is done by requiring well logs for all water well construction, reconstruction and plugging of wells within the state.

To become a Kansas Licensed Water Well Contractor requires submitting to KDHE a completed application, successful completion of a written exam and submitting the required fees to KDHE. After becoming a Licensed Water Well Contractor, the contractor is required to renew their license annually by submitting to KDHE a renewal application on a form provided by KDHE, filing all well records (WWC-5 form) for each well constructed, reconstructed or plugged during the previous year of licensure, satisfying the continuing education requirements and submitting the required fees.

Directions to KDHE and Visitor Parking

Kansas Licensed Water Well Contractors

How to Obtain a Kansas Water Well Contractor License (contact Pam Chaffee at 785-296-3565 or pchaffee@kdheks.gov)

Questions Regarding Kansas Water Well Contractor Licensing Renewals (contact Deb Biester at 785-296-5524 or dbiester@kdheks.gov)

WWC-5/WWC-5P Forms  

*** Hard copies will no longer be furnished - use one of the reporting methods listed below ***

Note:  If you do not have a computer, call 785-296-5524 or 785-296-3565 and ask that a blank copy be sent to you.  You may reproduce the copy for your record submittals.  You will need to make copies as follows:  1st copy will be mailed to KDHE, Geology & Well Technology Section, 1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 420, Topeka, KS 66612-1367, 2nd copy needs to be sent to landowner, and a 3rd copy will be retained by you for your files.


Forms Request

Geothermal Wells

LEPP County Sanitarians

Upcoming Seminars, Expos, Conferences, Workshops and Training Sessions

Water Well Help

Water Well Testing

Water Well Forms and Procedures

(Note: Some of the following files may require Adobe Acrobat).



Informational Circulars



American Ground Water Trust (Ground Water Education)

Kansas Corporation Commission

Kansas Geological Survey

Kansas Department of Transportation

Ground Water Management Districts

Kansas Ground Water Association

Kansas State University

     KSU Extension Bulletins 

National Ground Water Association

U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)