Ordering Marriage Certificates By
New ID requirements: Due to the rise in identity theft and other fraudulent use of vital records, acceptable ID is limited. You must provide a government (state or federal) issued photo ID. This can be issued by the U.S. or other country of residence.
Examples of acceptable IDs (must be current):
- Photocopy of driver's license
- Photocopy of state ID card
- Photocopy of passport or visa
- Photocopy of military ID
If you do not have a government issued photo ID, you must send photocopies of any TWO of the following:
- Social security number
- Bank statement with current address
- Car registration or title with current address
- Utility bill with current address
- Pay stub (must include your name, social security number plus name and address of business)
The cost is $15.00 for the first copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time. By state law, the initial $15.00 fee for a certified copy of a marriage certificate is a five-year record search fee – one certified copy is issued if the record is found and if not found, the fee is retained. Payment can be a check or money order made payable to "Kansas Vital Statistics."
Click on below selection for MARRIAGE certificate application form:
NOTE: The documents listed below with * can be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader, filled out on-line, and printed. The data will not be saved within the document.
The documents listed below with ** can be opened using Microsoft Office Word, filled out on-line, printed and saved.
If you cannot provide complete information, provide as much as possible. We must have sufficient information to conduct a record search for the correct record. If the exact date of the marriage is unknown, state a consecutive five-year search span (more may be specified, but each five-year span costs $15.00).
Submit a completed, signed application form or send a letter with the following information:
- Specify you are requesting a MARRIAGE certificate
- Indicate number of copies you are requesting
- Full name of groom (first, middle, and last)
- Full maiden name of bride (first, middle, and maiden name or prior married name)
- Date of marriage (month, day, year)
- Place of marriage (city, county) Must be Kansas
- County where license was filed
- Groom's date of birth
- Bride's date of birth
- Your relationship to the person named on the marriage certificate
- Reason you are requesting the certificate (we ask this so that we can provide appropriate service for your needs)
- Your daytime phone number
- Your mailing address
- Place your handwritten signature on the request
- You MUST include a photocopy of a government issued ID or two of the documents listed above.
- Enclose a check or money order in U. S. dollars made payable to "Kansas Vital Statistics." DO NOT SEND CASH.
- Enclose a business size self-addressed stamped envelope for each request of a different record.
Mail the request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Curtis State Office Building
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 120
Topeka, KS 66612-2221
Requests with insufficient information, incorrect payment amount, or made by ineligible requestors will be returned to the requestor along with a form explaining why the request was returned.