Ordering Death Certificates By Telephone
New ID requirements: Due to the rise in identity theft and other fraudulent use of vital records, the credit card you are using to place the order must be in your name. The card holder's name and address will be verified. You will also be asked to provide your social security number or driver's license number.
- Credit card telephone requests are processed within three business days.
- The cost is $15.00 for the first copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time. By state law, the initial $15.00 fee for a certified copy of a death certificate is a five-year record search fee – one certified copy is issued if the record is found and if not found, the fee is retained. If the record is not found, you will receive correspondence notifying you of the search completed and that no record was found.
- There is an additional $11.00 expedited service fee for credit card requests which is charged by VitalChek, the company with which our office contracts to provide credit card service. Per our agreement with VitalChek, an additional $11.00 expedited service fee will be charged for requests exceeding five copies of the same record.
- You may have your request sent to you by UPS. For this service, you must provide an address deliverable by UPS where someone is available to sign for the delivery. UPS cannot deliver to P.O. Box, APO, or FPO addresses. The UPS charge is applied to your credit card.
- You may charge your request to a valid Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit card. Visa or MasterCard debit cards are also acceptable.
- Call (785) 296-3253 weekdays, excluding holidays, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central Time.
- There are limited operators and a limited number of callers who can be on hold for the next available operator. If you are not connected with an operator, please do not hold longer than five minutes. Hang up and dial again. If all lines are busy, you may receive a message instructing you to call back later.
Be prepared to provide the operator the following information:
- A valid Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit card number
- Expiration date of your credit card
- Your social security number or driver's license number
- Type of vital record being requested
- State number of copies requested
- Your relationship to the person named on the record
- Reason you are requesting the record (we ask this so that we can provide appropriate service for your needs)
- Full name as listed on the record
- Date of death
- Place of death (city and county) Must be Kansas
- Mother's maiden name (name prior to first marriage)
- Father's name
- Your daytime phone number
- Your mailing address
- Indicate if you want the request mailed by U.S. Mail or by UPS delivery. For UPS delivery, you must provide an address deliverable by UPS where someone is able to sign for the delivery. UPS cannot deliver to P.O. Box, APO, or FPO addresses. The UPS charge is applied to your credit card.
Authorized credit card requests cannot be cancelled or changed.