Ordering Death Certificates By Priority Mail
For priority service without using a credit card, you may send your request to our Office using any type of priority mail service (UPS, FedEx, Express Mail, etc.) and it will be processed within three business days once we receive it.
If you want your request mailed back to you by a priority mail service, you MUST enclose with your request a pre-paid self-addressed priority mail envelope. DO NOT send a priority service account number or a payment for the Office to use in obtaining return priority mail service. Major couriers have verified that as the sender, the Office will be held responsible for acceptance of the delivery and for payment. Therefore, we cannot process return priority mail in this manner.
New ID requirements: Due to the rise in identity theft and other fraudulent use of vital records, acceptable ID is limited. You must provide a government (state or federal) issued photo ID. This can be issued by the U.S. or other country of residence.
Examples of acceptable IDs (must be current):
- Photocopy of driver's license
- Photocopy of state ID card
- Photocopy of passport or visa
- Photocopy of military ID
If you do not have a government issued photo ID, you must send photocopies of any TWO of the following:
- Social security number
- Bank statement with current address
- Car registration or title with current address
- Utility bill with current address
- Pay stub (must include your name, social security number plus name and address of business)
The cost is $15.00 for the first copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time. By state law, the initial $15.00 fee for a certified copy of a death certificate is a five-year record search fee – one certified copy is issued if the record is found and if not found, the fee is retained. Payment can be a check or money order made payable to "Kansas Vital Statistics."
Click on below selection for DEATH certificate application form:
NOTE: The documents listed below can be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader, filled out on-line, and printed. The data will not be saved within the document.
If you cannot provide complete information, provide as much as possible. We must have sufficient information to conduct a record search for the correct record. If the exact date of death is unknown, state a consecutive five-year search span (more may be specified, but each five-year span costs $15.00).
Submit a completed, signed application form or send a letter with the following information:
- Specify you are requesting a DEATH certificate
- Indicate number of copies you are requesting
- Full name as listed on death certificate
- Date of death (month, day, year)
- Sex (male or female)
- Place of death (city, county) Must be Kansas
- Mother's maiden name
- Father's name
- Date of birth, if known, or age at time of death
- Your relationship to the person named on the death certificate
- Reason you are requesting the certificate (we ask this so that we can provide appropriate service for your needs)
- Your daytime phone number
- Your mailing address
- Place your handwritten signature on the request
- You MUST include a photocopy of a government issued ID or two of the documents listed above.
- Enclose a check or money order in U. S. dollars made payable to "Kansas Vital Statistics." DO NOT SEND CASH.
- Enclose a business size self-addressed stamped envelope for each request of a different record.
Mail the request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Curtis State Office Building
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 120
Topeka, KS 66612-2221
Requests with insufficient information, incorrect payment amount, or made by ineligible requestors will be returned to the requestor along with a form explaining why the request was returned.