Birth Certificate Instructions for Voter ID
Instructions to obtain a free birth certificate for the purpose of obtaining a voter ID are below. Read ALL instructions on this page before completing forms.
1. Complete a “Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Nondriver Identification Card” (DE-VID1).
2. Complete an “Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified copy of Birth Certificate” (BCA).
3. Complete an “Application for Certified Copy of Kansas Birth Certificate”.
- For “Reason for Request” (under Requestor Information), state “Voter ID”. For “Total Fee” place “0”
4. Provide two of the following documents for proof of identification (provide copies of these documents if making the request by mail):
- Social Security Number (social security card must be signed)
- Bank Statement with Current Address
- Car Registration or Title with Current Address
- Utility Bill with Current Address
- Current Pay Stub (must include your name, social security number plus name and address of business)
- Valid Insurance Card or Policy
- Valid Health Insurance Card or Policy
- Parole Document (book sheet)
- Inmate ID
- Filed Income Tax Form 1040 (with current address)
- Letter from Social Service Agency/Health Department or other Government Agency (with current address)
- Hospital or Health Agency Bill (with current address)
- Court Documents (with current address)
- W-2 from Employer (with current address)
If you have only one or none of the documents on the above list, please contact (785) 296-1400 for personal assistance and state that you need help obtaining a birth certificate for Voter ID.
- Bring or mail the completed birth certificate application, Certification Requesting Fee Waiver (DE-VID1), Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (BCA), and proof of identification document(s) to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Curtis State Office Building
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 120
Topeka, Kansas 66612-2221