How to Amend Death Certificates

“Personal” data may be amended if the request is made within the first year after the filing of the original certificate. Requests to amend “personal” data may be made only by the funeral director or person acting as such who submitted the original certificate. After one year, “personal” data may only be amended by court order.

LilyAn amendment to the medical certification may be made at any time. Requests to amend the medical certification data may be made only by the attending physician who signed the medical certification on the original certificate or by the coroner in whose jurisdiction the death occurred.

If you are a family member needing to make a correction on a death certificate, please contact the funeral home which filed the death certificate to request the amendment. Any certified copies you obtained before the correction may be replaced up to one year from the time the certified copies were issued. This can be done by mailing your copies to us with a note to replace them with the corrected certificates or this request can also be made through the funeral home. Our mailing address is:

1000 SW JACKSON, STE 120
TOPEKA, KS 66612-2221

Click Here for Fees Regarding Amendments and Corrections

If you have any questions, please contact the Amendment Unit at (785) 296-1434.

If you have questions that can't be answered by browsing the site, email