Filing a Foreign Born Adoption

Residents of Kansas who adopt children born in another country can place a Kansas certificate on file for them. The certificate does not give them citizenship. Citizenship can only be granted by the federal government. For information regarding the procedure to obtain citizenship for your child, go to:

If the adoption was granted through the courts in the country your child was born, take your decree of adoption with an English translation and evidence of lawful entry into the United States to your county courthouse and file the paperwork with the clerk. The clerk will make copies of your paperwork and assign a case number to be placed permanently on file in their court. Complete a Report of Adoption Form at the court so they can send it to our office.

If the adoption was granted through the courts here in Kansas, complete a Report of Adoption form at the court so they can send it to our office.

Once we receive the completed Report of Adoption form, we will create a certificate for your child and send it to you to look over and sign. Return the signed certificate with evidence of the child’s birth, such as the child’s original birth certificate or birth data record, alien registration card, or passport. The filing fee is $15.00. This does not include the charge for a certified copy. Certified copies are available for $15.00 for the first copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time.

After we have received the signed certificate, evidence of birth, and the appropriate fees, we will place the certificate on permanent file and issue the copies you have requested. We will also send you information on how to complete the citizenship requirements for your child.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at (785) 296-1436 or email at

Everything should be mailed to:

1000 SW JACKSON, STE 120
TOPEKA, KS 66612-2221