Environmental Use Control and
Information Management Unit
Maggie Weiser, Unit Manager
Phone: (785) 291-3807 Fax: (785)-296-7030 or (785)-296-1686
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 410
Topeka, KS 66612-1367
The Environmental Use Control and Information Management Unit provides oversight of Environmental Use Controls through the Environmental Use Control (EUC) Program, maintains the Identified Sites List and other Bureau databases, and supports remedial work through researching site background information.
Environmental Use Control Program
Environmental Use Controls are more commonly known as institutional controls, which are legal controls intended to restrict or prohibit human activities and property use in such a way as to prevent or reduce exposures to contamination. Some examples of environmental use controls include: preventing disturbance of soil caps, covers, berms, etc.; prohibiting the drilling of water wells for domestic or other purposes; restricting and providing notification during utility excavation of an area; restricting use of a property for residential purposes; and restricting access to the property.
The Environmental Use Control Act became state law on July 1, 2003, with regulations becoming effective on April 7, 2006. The regulations were amended January 30, 2009, to expand the program by redefining "eligible property" in K.A.R. 28-73-1(c) to include properties defined as "hazardous waste facilities" by K.S.A. 65-3430(f). This amendment provides more flexibility in addressing contaminated properties, including expedited remediation, less expense to the property owners, and increased protection of human health and the environment through the use of voluntary land use restrictions.
- Environmental Use Controls– BER Interactive Map
- Environmental Use Controls - Fact Sheet (.pdf)
- Application Package (.pdf)
- Application Package Form (.pdf)
- Environmental Use Controls Owner Inspection Form (.pdf)
- Procedures for Demonstrating Financial Assurance at Property with Environmental Use Controls (.pdf)
- Evaluation of Existing Institutional Controls Report, 2005 (.pdf)
- Environmental Use Control Regulations (.pdf)
- Environmental Use Control Statutes (.pdf)