Fluoride Varnish Program
The Bureau of Oral Health encourages medical offices treating young children to promote good oral health to their patients. Kansas Medicaid reimburses medical providers who apply fluoride varnish to children during their well child exams. To help physicians integrate oral health screening, parent education and fluoride varnish into their office’s services to young children, the Bureau of Oral Health has a project dedicated to medical office outreach and oral health education. This program utilizes two regional dental hygienists as Outreach Coordinators who contact medical offices and health departments across the state. Free training is offered on conducting an oral health screening and fluoride varnish application. The project also has written information such as posters and brochures that are free to medical offices. For more information or to request materials or a presentation, contact the Bureau of Oral Health at KBOH@kdheks.gov.
Fluoride Varnish Educational Material
- Fluoride Varnish Brochure - English
- Fluoride Varnish Brochure - Spanish
- Fluoride Varnish Poster - English
- Fluoride Varnish Poster - Spanish
- Dental Referral Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers
- Information for Parents About Fluoride Varnish
- Steps for Fluoride Varnish Application
- Oral Health Information and Fluoride Varnish Protocol
If you would like to place an order for Fluoride Varnish educational material, please click KBOH@kdheks.gov and in the body of the email please list the items you would like sent, how many and your mailing address.
Kansas Medicaid Information
- Kansas Medical Assistance Provider Manual - Fluoride Varnish Information is included in the KAN BE Healthy Section (2020) - Screening Guide
- July 2005 - Provider Bulletin Announcing Fluoride Varnish Change
- August 2008 - Fluoride Billing Procedure for Local Health Departments
Fluoride Varnish Claims Issues should be directed to EDS 1-800-933-6593.
Information about Fluoride Varnish
- Fluoride Varnish Products Available in the United States Ordering Information
- Oral Health Resources and Information for Kansas Medical Professionals
- A Health Professional’s Guide to Pediatric Oral Health Management
- Fluoride Varnish: an Evidence-Based Approach