Cathleen Taylor-Osborne DDS, MA, Director Bureau of Oral Health
Phone: (785) 296-5116
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 200
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1274
Mission: The Bureau of Oral Health is Kansas' state-level public health division dedicated to oral health improvement.
The Bureau works to increase awareness and improve the oral health of all Kansans through: oral health data collection, surveillance and dissemination; statewide oral health education, promotion and collaboration; development of science based oral health policy; and programming dedicated to dental disease prevention.
|Friday, October 14, 2016 is Cavity-Free
Future Day! Join us!
CDC Vital Signs: October, 2016
Dental sealants are thin coatings that when painted on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (molars) can prevent cavities for many years. School-age children (ages 6-11) without sealants have almost 3 times more 1st molar cavities than those with sealants. Although the overall number of children with sealants has increased over time, low-income children are 20% less likely to have them and 2 times more likely to have untreated cavities than higher-income children. Untreated cavities can cause pain, infection, and problems eating, speaking, and learning. States can help millions more children prevent cavities by starting or expanding programs that offer dental sealants in schools.
Dental sealants prevent 80% of cavities in the back teeth, where 9 in 10 cavities occur.
About 60% of children ages 6-11 years donít get dental sealants.
Children from low-income families are 20% less likely to get dental sealants than children from higher-income families
- 2015-2017 State Oral Health Plan
- 2015 Oral Health Newsletter
- 2014 Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas Map
- 2013 Burden of Oral Disease in Kansas
- 2013 Implementing Dental Services in Kansas Hospitals
- 2012 Elder Smiles
- 2012 Smiles Across Kansas
- 2011-2014 State Oral Health Plan
- 2011 Mapping the Rural Kansas Dental Workforce
- 2010-2013 Kansas School Sealant Program Plan
- 2009 OH Workforce Assessment
- 2004 Smiles Across Kansas
- AAP Oral Health
- American Association for State/Territorial Dental Directors
- Campaign for Dental Health
- Campaign for Dental Health – Spanish
- CDC – Community Health Status Indicators
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
- Contact Oral Health Staff
- Fluoride in Kansas
- Games and Fun Stuff
- Healthy Kansans 2020
- Healthy People 2020
- How We Drink Sugar
- Kansas Dental Association
- Kansas Dental Board
- Kansas Health Matters
- KS Oral Health & Well Being
- National Maternal/Child Oral Health Resource Center
- Oral Health Kansas