Your Rights and Responsibilities

Kansas WIC Program Banner

For the Kansas Department of Health and Environment WIC Program



  • Attend all scheduled nutrition education classes and appointments.
  • Be on time for all appointments.
  • Let WIC staff know in advance if I cannot keep an appointment.
  • Bring proof of current income, address, and identification for each person applying.
  • Give the WIC staff truthful information about my or my child's medical history, my household income and the foods that I eat or my child eats.
  • Have my or my child's weight, height and blood checked (finger or heel stick) and a diet assessment.
  • Handle my WIC checks carefully - like they were cash.
  • Call the WIC office right away if my checks are damaged, lost, or stolen. Checks are replaced only in special cases.
  • Buy only WIC foods with WIC checks.
  • Let the WIC staff know if my address, telephone number or income changes, if I am going to move away, or if I no longer have custody of the client.


  • WIC will give me checks to buy certain foods at WIC authorized grocery stores each month.
  • WIC will provide referrals to other helpful programs and health services. I am encouraged to participate.
  • I may be dropped from WIC if I participate in more than one WIC Program in any one month.
  • Standards for eligibility and participation in the WIC Program are the same for everyone, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
  • I may appeal any decision made by the local agency regarding my eligibility for WIC.
  • It is illegal to participate in more than one WIC program in any one month. I may be dropped from WIC if I or someone with me makes changes on my WIC check; returns WIC foods for cash or non-WIC foods; sells, trades, or gives away WIC foods; buys non-WIC foods; uses an unauthorized vendor; or verbally or physically abuses WIC or vendor staff. I also may be required to repay benefits.
  • My WIC information may be released to designated public organizations and their programs to see if I qualify for their services, to conduct outreach, to share needed health information with programs I am already participating in, to streamline office procedures, and to help assess the overall health of Kansas families. The designated programs are: Other state and local WIC programs, non-WIC programs administered by the WIC state and  local agency, Maternal & Child Health, School Health, Family Planning, Statewide Farmworker Health, Maternal and Infant, Healthy Start/Home Visitor, Immunizations, Special Health Care Needs, Infant Toddler, Parents as Teachers, Kansas Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention, Head Start, KanCare, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Kansas Food Assistance, Medicaid, KAN Be Healthy, Dept. of Education Child Nutrition and Wellness Programs, Expanded Food Nutrition Education Programs, Military Family Support Services, Becoming a Mom and Smoking Cessation Programs.

I have been advised of my rights and responsibilities under the Program. I certify that the information I have provided for my eligibility determination is correct, to the best of my knowledge. This certification form is being submitted in connection with the receipt of Federal assistance. Program officials may verify information on this form. I understand that intentionally making a false or misleading statement or intentionally misrepresenting, concealing, or withholding facts may result in paying the State agency, in cash, the value of the food benefits improperly issued to me and may subject me to civil or criminal prosecution under State and Federal law.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866)632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250- 9410, by fax (202)690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800)877- 8339; or (800)845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

I understand my rights and responsibilities in the WIC Program.