For Immediate Release
December 10, 2009

KDHE Office of Communications, 785-296-0461

KDHE works with CPSC to identify Kansas homes
where Chinese drywall may have been used

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) is working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to identify any Kansas homes where Chinese drywall may have been used.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, some U.S. homes built between 2003 and 2008 contain imported drywall, known in the press as Chinese drywall. Some consumers who live in these homes have reported problems, including a strong sulfur smell, like rotten eggs; health issues, like irritated and itchy eyes and skin, difficulty breathing, a persistent cough and headaches; and premature corrosion or deterioration of certain metal components in their homes, like air conditioner coils and wiring behind electrical outlets and inside electrical panel boxes.

To date, CPSC has received more than 2,000 reports from 32 states, the District of
Columbia and Puerto Rico from consumers and homeowners concerned about problem drywall in their homes. 

At the present time, Kansas is not one of those states, and to-date KDHE has received no inquiries, reports or complaints concerning the Chinese drywall product.

The CPSC has requested the help of states across the country to gather information on any homes where concerns with Chinese drywall have arisen.

Any Kansas homeowners who believe they may have problem drywall should report it to KDHE’s Bureau of Environmental Health by e-mailing or calling (785) 296-5606 or 1-866-865-3233.  Homeowners can also contact CPSC by calling 1-800-638-2772 or logging on to

You can learn more about the federal government’s drywall investigation at