For Immediate Release
August 15, 2008

KDHE Office of Communications, 785-296-0461

KDHE Seeks Comments on Proposed Allen County Landfill Expansion

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) will hold a public comment period regarding the proposed expansion of municipal solid waste landfills and construction and demolition landfills operated by Allen County. The landfills are currently operated under a permit from KDHE and are located at 1170 2800 St., southeast of the town of La Harpe.

Allen County has submitted an application for an additional 39.23-acre municipal solid waste disposal area north of the existing disposal area. The application also includes increasing the landfill’s final elevation by 50 feet and increasing the landfill’s construction and demolition waste disposal area by 3.3 acres over an area already permitted for waste disposal. The expansion would result in a 246-acre landfill site with 76.27 acres permitted for waste disposal.

A copy of the administrative record including the draft permit, permit application, engineering drawings and other information will be available for public review from Friday, August 22 through Monday, September 22, 2008 during normal business hours at the Department of Public Works, Allen County Courthouse, 1 North Washington, in Iola; at the KDHE Topeka office, 1000 S.W. Jackson St., Suite 320, in Topeka; and at the KDHE Southeast District Office, 1500 West Seventh Street, Chanute, Kansas 66720. The permit application form is also available at .

KDHE will accept written comments on the proposed facility expansion from Friday, August 22, 2008 until 5 p.m. Monday, September 22, 2008. Comments should be mailed to Charles Bowers at the KDHE Southeast District Office; they can also be faxed to (620) 431-1211, or emailed to Mailed comments postmarked by September 22, 2008 and received within one week thereafter will also be considered. After the comment period closes, KDHE will respond in writing to all formal comments received.

For more information, please contact Charles Bowers at (620) 431-2390 or Sam Sunderraj at (785) 296-6563.