Biological Agents and Resources
The Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R) and Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) require laboratories to report laboratory testing results suggestive of specified diseases of public health importance to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Public Health Informatics at (877) 427-7317. Kansas law requires a telephone report within four hours of all suspect cases of List (e)(1) Select Agents.
When a preliminary identification of a suspected List (e)(1) Select Agent bacteria is made from a clinical specimen as a non-Select Agent registered laboratory, work should cease. Clinical laboratories should immediately notify the Kansas Department of Health and Environmental Laboratories at firstname.lastname@example.org, a Laboratory Response Network (LRN) laboratory, of the suspect or rule-out List (e)(1) Select Agent specimen. Proper rule out of the List (e)(1) Select Agent will be made by the Kansas Department of Health and Environmental Bioterrorism Laboratory. When notifying the Bioterrorism Laboratory of rule-out specimen request, please include the following:
1. What is the suspected organism?
2. What is the description of the organism?
3. When will the isolate be shipped?
4. What is the shipping method and tracking number (FedEx Overnight, UPS Overnight, courier)?
5. What is the patient history?
6. Have any potential laboratory exposures occurred (handling of the specimen outside of a certified Biological Safety Cabinet, specimen was analyzed on a rapid identification method, etc.)?
All suspected or rule-out List (e)(1) Select Agent specimens must be accompanied with a completed KDHE Universal Laboratory Specimen Submission Form (Health). Click here to order a KDHE Universal Laboratory Specimen Submission Form.