Dependent Documentation Requirements
for State Employee Health Plan (SEHP)
The State of Kansas and the SEHP require supporting dependent documentation to support proof of dependency and/or residency of your dependents (spouses, children, grandchildren, etc.).
When requesting to enroll your dependent(s) for coverage with the SEHP, you MUST:
- Certify that your dependent(s) meet the requirements for dependent coverage for the year in which the dependent(s) are being enrolled.
- Also provide appropriate supporting documentation for each dependent at the time you are requesting to add them (such as the birth certificate, adoption papers, marriage license, copy of the current year’s filed federal tax return, etc.) See additional information below.
- NOTE: ANY attempt to enroll dependent(s) who do not meet the SEHP requirements will be considered fraud and will be subject to penalties as prescribed by law.
The following appropriate documentation is required to be submitted (IN ENGLISH) to the SEHP when requesting to add a dependent to your SEHP coverage:
- Marriage License (for proof of spouse and stepchild eligibility)
- Birth certificate or hospital birth announcement for newborns containing both parents’ names. NOTE: Birth registration cards are NOT acceptable proof for child eligibility
- Petition for adoption or placement agreement for dependent child
- Legal custody or guardianship document issued by the court
- Court order for dependents who are not natural or adopted children of yours
- Certificate of birth and Dependent Grandchild Affidavit for children born to a covered dependent (grandchild)
- An Application for Coverage of Permanent and Totally Disabled Dependent Child affidavit for covered dependent children aged 26 or older
- Copies of pages 1 and 2 (from the most current year) filed Federal tax return that indicates:
- the filer’s name,
- you and your spouse’s names,
- your signatures and
- date signed
- Divorce decree Note: ONLY the first and last page of court document are needed
For additional information contact your Human Resources office or SEHP Membership Services at 785-296-3226.