Thank you for your interest in the EAP Life Coaching Program. To help you get started, below are a few interesting facts about coaching in general, and the specifics of the Life Coaching Program.
What is Life Coaching?
Coaching is a personalized service that helps individuals produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. Through the coaching process, individuals expand their learning, improve their performance, and enhance their quality of life.
Individuals often find a coach useful when they are making a career transition, feeling dissatisfied, re-evaluating life choices, or simply looking to improve the quality of their personal or work life. The typical coaching process would include the following:
- Coaching begins with the individual's personal commitment to achieve a goal.
- The number of coaching sessions is mutually agreed upon, and the dates and times of sessions are established.
- During each coaching session the coach and the client discuss and explore the client's progress toward the goal, challenges, opportunities for improvement, and agree to field work for the coming session.
- Fieldwork isn't like homework you were assigned in school. It consists of action steps to help you move toward your goals.
- During each session, the client brings the agenda; and the coach brings the coaching skills to create a partnership that move the client forward.
- The client calls the coach at their scheduled times and dates.
For example, a good analogy is that of a personal fitness trainer. When you go to the gym, the trainer will first ask you what your goals are, for example, build muscle, build endurance, lose weight, increase stamina, etc. After you have made your goals clear, the trainer will then help you devise a plan of action to achieve your goal.
In a similar fashion, your Life Coach will encourage and motivate you, ask you questions and help you remove the barriers to achieve your goal. In the end, your Life Coach helps you achieve your goal quicker and more effectively than if you did it yourself.
How Will the EAP Life Coaching Program Work?
Your Life Coach will create a partnership designed to help you produce fulfilling results in your personal and professional life outside of the traditional "counseling" setting. The Life Coaching Program is designed to help the benefits eligible employee reach their goal in four (4) to six (6) sessions. Your Coach will help you improve work performance and enhance the quality of life in one of the four areas you have selected:
- Building sound relationships
- Improving job performance and strengthening your career
- Managing stress and building resilience
- Major life transitions
If you wish to continue past the six sessions, your Coach will help you select a Coach from the International Coaching Federation's (ICF) Coach Referral Service that can continue the relationship. There are fees associated with the ongoing coaching.
Who is Eligible to Participate in Life Coaching?
- Life Coaching is offered at no cost to all active benefits-eligible employees of the State of Kansas and our Non State Employer Groups.
- Spouses, Dependents, Retirees and COBRA participants are not eligible to participate.
How Do I Sign Up?
Getting started is simple and confidential. Just call toll-free 1-888-275-1205 (and select option 7). The TDD/TT line is 1-800-766-3777.
Due to the popularity of this program, participation is limited. We ask all employees to commit to the following requirements in order to participate:
- Comit to all coaching sessions
- Complete several short coaching assignments
- Make the scheduled calls to the Coach.
- Provide an evaluation of the program upon completion.
For questions or concerns, contact the EAP program administrator at 785-296-5624.