Livestock Waste Management Section
Swine Operator Certification Training – June 24, 2015
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), in cooperation with the Kansas Pork Association, is developing a computer-based operator certification training course that will be available online via the Internet. The conversion to an online course was necessitated by continuing biosecurity concerns, the need to provide greater flexibility and to reduce travel costs and lost work hours. The online course is being designed in a module format so portions of the training can be completed as your schedule allows.
KDHE will not be conducting swine operator certification training in a classroom setting this year.
Swine facilities with 1,000 or more animal units, will soon receive a letter from KDHE providing more information. Stay tuned!
- EPA's Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) - 2008 Final Rule
- Regulatory Guidance for Large Dairy Operations
- Statutes and Regulations
- Swine Applications
- Related Links and Forms
- Kansas Sensitive Groundwater Areas for Wastewater Lagoons
- Design Standards for Confined Feeding Facilities (October 20, 2006)
- Tips to Prepare for a KDHE Livestock Waste Inspection
Tara Mahin, Section Chief
Bureau of Water
Livestock Waste Management Section
1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 420
Topeka, KS 66612-1367
FAX: (785) 296-5509
Livestock Waste Management Staff
For general correspondence, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 296-6432.
- Rob Gavin, Environmental Scientist, 296-5557
- Kelly Haller, Environmental Scientist, 296-0077
- Ian Fannin-Hughes, Environmental Scientist, 296-6725
- Sarah LaFrenz, Environmental Technician, 368-6237
- Joyce Lovin, Office Assistant, 296-0076
- Jennifer Miller, Environmental Scientist, 296-5570
- Glenda Newquist, Environmental Technician, 296-8037
- Jeannine Riddle, Administrative Specialist, 296-6432
- Vacant, Professional Environmental Engineer, 296-0075
- Vacant, Professional Environmental Engineer, 296-6430
- Vacant, Professional Environmental Engineer, 296-6405
- Vacant, Engineering Associate, 296-0038
Purpose of the Livestock Waste Management Section
The Livestock Waste Management Section is organized within the KDHE Bureau of Water. The mission of the section is to protect the waters of the state of Kansas by educating and assisting the regulated community, reviewing and issuing Livestock Waste Management Permits, and ensuring compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and permitting requirements.
Any facility that has an animal unit capacity of 300 or more, or that has been determined to have significant water pollution potential must register with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). Upon evaluation of the facility by the Department, it will be determined if waste controls and a permit are necessary.
Each KDHE District Office maintains documentation of livestock facility compliance with Kansas statutes and regulations for facilities located within that district. Each District Office also maintains documentation relating to permitting requirements for new or expanding swine facilities in that district. The documentation includes all requirements which a swine facility must comply with and an explanation of the statutory and regulatory provisions on which the permitting requirements are based, an explanation of any departure from any requirements, and a fact sheet which contains a detailed description of the location of each new or expanding facility, a description of the new or expanding facility, a map, and a nutrient utilization plan, if required.
This Swine Applications link will allow you to view all complete applications for new or expanding swine facilities which are currently on Public Notice in the Kansas Register. Only after KDHE has determined that an application is complete will the application be placed on public notice.
The purpose of this Web site is to provide users with a delivery system to review the Kansas Livestock Waste Management Permitting System as mandated by K.S.A. 65-1,179. Data provided is current as of the publication date. KDHE is not responsible for database integrity following download and publication or for the use of the data for any purpose other than the purpose expressed.
KDHE has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the data, however, errors in the data are possible. Therefore data is provided without representation as to accuracy and without any warranty, either express or implied, as to accuracy.
KDHE does not authorize, and is not responsible for, the use of the data contained in this Web site in any format other than that presented.
Kansas Sensitive Groundwater Areas for Wastewater Lagoons
- Kansas Sensitive Groundwater Areas for Wastewater Lagoons - January 1, 2005 (.pdf)
- Northeast District
- North Central District
- Northwest District
- Southeast District
- South Central District
- Southwest District
Related Links and Forms
- Registration (.doc)
- Registration (.pdf)
- Permit Application (.doc)
- Permit Application (.pdf)
- Permit Renewal (.doc)
- Permit Renewal (.pdf)
- Operations and Annual Report (.xls)
- Waste Management Plan (.doc)
- Waste Management Plan (.pdf)
- Habitable Structure - Separation Distance Agreement (.pdf)
- Guidance Document for NMPs (.pdf)
- Technical Standards for Nutrient Management – Revised 2010 (.pdf)
- NMP Template – Non-Swine Facilities (.doc)
- NMP Template – Swine Facilities (.doc)
- NUP Form (.doc)
- NUP version 3.5 Workbook (.xls)
- Soil Sampling Certification (.doc)
*Contact – Rob Gavin, 785-296-5557
Tara Mahin , 785-296-5550
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
- Kansas Agricultural Statistics
- Kansas State University Animal Science
- State Conservation Commission
Livestock Industry Links
- Kansas Livestock Association
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- Kansas Cattlemen's Association
- National Pork Producers Council
- Kansas Pork Association
- American Sheep Industry Association
- Kansas Dairy Association