*Please follow the collection procedure as closely as possible – Improper collection could contaminate an otherwise clean water sample
- Take samples from rigid faucets. Do not collect from: water softeners, charcoal filters, yard hydrants, fire hydrants, frost-free hydrants, leaking faucets, hot water faucets or sill cocks. Try to avoid swivel faucets or single handle faucets whenever possible.
- Remove any aerators or filters attached to the end of the faucet.
- Run the cold water at a steady rate for 3-5 minutes before sampling. During this time, wash your hands or use an appropriate hand sanitizer.
- Open the lid of the sample bottle. Holding the lid in your free hand, fill the bottle between the 100ml line and the 120ml line, without letting the water splash out or overflow. Replace the lid, tightening securely. (There may be a small amount of liquid or dried preservative in the sample bottle. Leave this in the sample bottle, DO NOT RINSE OUT).
- Complete the sample card information, making sure the barcode numbers on the sample card and the sample bottle are the same. Print the collection information neatly with blue or black pen (NOT PENCIL). All information must be filled in to be a valid sample.
- Mail or send to: Kansas Health and Environment Laboratory, Environmental Microbiology Laboratory, 6700 SW Topeka Blvd, Bldg 740, Topeka, KS 66619-1401. For questions, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), then call 785-296-0971 if you have further questions.
Please DO NOT mail samples on Thursday or Friday.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)