Healthy Start Home Visitor Services
MCH Grants are provided to local health departments so they can provide outreach visits to pregnant women and families with newborns. Under public health nurse supervision, visitors provide in-home interventions such as education, support and referrals to other community services.
- Increase the use of cost-effective preventive health care services such as prenatal care, family planning, immunizations, nutrition and well childcare.
- Promote early entry into and compliance with prenatal care.
- Discourage unhealthy maternal behaviors such as alcohol and tobacco use.
- Identify families at risk and link them with services and supports.
- Improve and enhance parenting and problem solving skills.
- Reduce costs through use of paraprofessional visitors under nursing supervision.
For further information, call: