File Review Procedures
Most KDHE Bureau of Environmental Remediation (BER) records are public records open for inspection per the Kansas Open Records Act (KSA 45-215 through 45-223). If you would like to review information about permits or corrective actions taken by BER, please use the File Review Request Form provided here.
If you need information from other Bureaus, please contact Tim Keck at 785-296-1334, or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about KDHE and the Kansas Open Records Act can be found at our Access to Open Records page.
Most records will be produced within three business days from the time the request is received. If the request is delayed or denied, you will receive a written explanation for the delay or denial within those three days. If needed, BER's KORA Coordinator will contact you to request additional information or provide guidance.
The online version of the form electronically sends the request to BER's KORA Coordinator. The PDF version of the form is provided for those who would like to mail or fax the request to BER.
What is Needed?
Please be ready to provide a detailed description of the record you seek including specific site identification numbers for permitted facilities, spills, or contaminated sites to assist BER staff with efficiently preparing files for review. Detailed information will help minimize the cost of your KORA request.
Site Identification Tools:
Identified Sites List (ISL): The Identified Sites List is a record of environmentally-contaminated sites, excluding underground and above-ground tank sites. Each ISL record has a link to photos and BER reports, if they are available for that site.
The Interactive Mapping option can help you find sites near a specific address.
- On the left-hand menu, click "Address."
- Enter and submit the address.
- Choose from the list of similar addresses.
- The address will show on the map as a red dot.
- Select "More" from the left-hand menu.
- Choose among the check boxes on the right-hand side to see the ISL Project Code, Site Name, and Local Roads Name labels.
- Click "Refresh Map."
- On the left-hand menu, click "Find Sites" and then click the red dot. A list of possible identified sites near that location will appear, and you can select "View Report" to pull up the ISL record for each site.
Spills: The Kansas Interactive Spills Map can help you find spills reported near a specific address or location.
Underground and Above-Ground Storage Tanks: The Tank Permit and Assessment Databases provide information about above-ground and underground storage tank facilities in Kansas.
Environmental Audit Request (ERA): You can request an ERA to receive detailed information about known environmental issues within a mile of a specified address. This information is collected not only from BER, but also from other bureaus within the Division of Environment. The report will specifically include the site identification numbers and information you can then use to submit or update a KORA request.
To request an ERA, please email a request to email@example.com Donna Fisher in the Division of Environment. If you need to contact Donna by telephone, her phone number is 785-291-3092.
Please include the following information in your ERA request.
- Your name
- Your company's name
- Your phone number
- Your e-mail address
- Your mailing address: street, city, state, and zip code
- The site address including the street, city, state, and zip code. KDHE recommends verifying the location of the address using an internet search engine or web mapping web site prior to submittal to KDHE.
- If a street address is not accurate, as for some rural locations, you can also submt a latitude/longitude data or a section/township/range designation.